Making sustainability a priority
Mindful of the environment and its role in helping preserve the planet, PaperWorks Industries maintains strong environmental values through both its paperboard and packaging groups.
Prioritizing recycled material for greater sustainabilityPaperWorks obtains 75% of its recycled waste from an on-site recycler:
- Consistent quality of recycled materials
- Oversight of recycling process
- Selected sorted grade purchasing
- 25% open purchases retain competitiveness and flexibility
unique paperboard grades.
- Curbside recycling comprises 20% of PaperWorks’ raw material
- A consistent level of 35% or greater post-consumer waste
Major environmental initiativesPhiladelphia: Steam boiler replacement
- Removes coal option from boiler entirely
- More compact, efficient steam creation
- Long-term energy savings and environmental benefits
- Improved extruders and compactors reduce water weight and mass
- Waste products use fewer landfill resources
- Waste products useable as landfill cover
- Lowered overall environmental footprint from operations
- A portion of the waste stream becomes a conditioner on farmers’ fields
- Carbon load biodegrades naturally
- Reduces production of methane (a greenhouse gas) in landfills
Proudly associated to the AF&PA’s initiatives
As an active member of the American Forest & Paper Association (AF&PA), PaperWorks is pleased to pledge its commitment to the “Better Practices, Better Planet 2020” initiative. “Better Practices, Better Planet 2020” is one of the first programs developed to drive sustainability practices across an entire industry. Learn more about the collective efforts that lead to our achievements.